It is possible to extend a 60 day tourist visa in Thailand for another 30 days. This is available to almost everyone, unless you have some bad history with Thai immigration. The process is quick and easy, and takes about 1 hour.
The Ko Samui immigration office is an easy place to get this visa extension. The staff are friendly, and the service prompt.
From Ko Phangan or Ko Tao take a ferry to the Nathon ferry terminal on Samui. Make sure it’s the Nathon terminal, is it’s very close to here. You can walk from the ferry to the immigration office, but it will take 30 minutes, so maybe better to take a pickup.
Types of visa service available
30 day extension to 60 day tourist visa – Costs 1,920 Baht. Takes about 1 hour.
Finding the office
The Ko Samui immigration office is 1 – 2 km south of Nathon, the main town on the Northwest corner of the island. Local pickups and taxis will drop you there, or you can easily find it on a scooter, as it is signposted about 2kms before the office, and again at the actual office.
There is parking for scooters and bigger vehicles.
They sell refreshments at normal shop prices. There is a nice seating area outside the office.
What you need
To extend a visa you will need the following:
- Your passport (with 6 months validity remaining)
- 1,920 Baht fee
- 2 passport sized photos
- 1 x photocopy of your passport photo page
- 1 x photocopy of your visa & entry stamp page (these are almost always on the same page in your passport)
- 1 x photocopy of your TM.6 immigration card (the one they staple into your passport)
- 1 x TM.7 visa extension form (get this at the immigration office. You can download from their website, but better to get it there).
Note: Right outside the immigration office is a small shop that will photocopy your passport. So you can get everything there.
Monday – Friday
08:30 – 16:30