Travel insurance is the most important thing you need before setting out on your travels. Even if you are the most careful person on earth you can’t escape from a bit of bad luck now and then. You would be surprised at the amount of people that risk it and don’t buy travel insurance, hopefully i’m about to change those peoples minds.
I’m a careful person and guard my processions, especially when traveling, with my life! My camera is my most important thing i carry when traveling so i really do guard it with my life. In 2007 whilst traveling in Malaysia i had it stolen, literally from right under my nose. We had taken the overnight train from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur, I had a terrible night sleep and so when we got off the train we decided to grab a quick coffee. As I was sat in the cafe with my camera bag on the seat next to me someone came a took it. I literally looked away for a second and when I turned back, it was gone. I was pretty hysterical but still managed to file for a police report. My camera was gone.
I, like almost 100% of other travelers, didn’t have a spare £600 to replace my camera. I had three months left of my trip and really couldn’t afford not to have a camera. All it took was a phone call to my insurance company and they could ensure my on the phone that with a police report I would be able to claim back the money for my camera. I begged and borrow the money for a new camera and as soon as I returned back my claim went though and I could repay the money. I am so grateful that I decided to take out travel insurance, the fact I may have lost out on three months worth of photos doesn’t bare thinking about.
Here are 5 reasons you should never over look the most important travel purchase, travel insurance,
- The number one reason for travel insurance should of course be for medical emergencies. Medical treatments can be very expensive especially when traveling in the US and Canada. Medical repatriation on average costs about £25,000. If you have a medical emergency whist traveling in a foreign country it can be quite scary to try and find a suitable and safe hospital. Travel insurance companies have the knowledge and resources to help you find treatment.
- Your passport cash or valuables get lost and you need to replace immediately. Sometimes if your traveling to a few different countries to loose your passport will mean you loose your trip. A travel insurance company may help you get a new passport quickly so you can carry on with your trip.
- Protect your investment if you can’t go. If for some reason you have to cancle you trip you may be able to recover some or all of your cash. Travel insurance can cover you for inclement weather, natural disaster, terrorist accident and even jury duty.
- Peace of mind. You can fully relax on your holiday in the knowledge that if anything where to go wrong your not alone.
- Lost baggage. Costs can be as much as £1000 if your were to have to replace your whole bag. insurance may cover for lost and delayed baggage.
Image by Shayne Kaye